Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Therapy, first day.

I was sitting in the waiting room completely fascinated by the noise machine and the warm deadliness in the whole floor. It was 10am and there was only one white girl sitting next to me, browsing the New Yorker like she didn't care. I didn't even see what she looked like, only the paleness and frailness. And i was anxious. Anxious about what i should say and what i should not. But my therapist was this tall warm woman, came up to me asking if i was wen (the entire time i was thinking if i was her first Asian client). She asked me if i wanted some hot tea and automatically liked her just that much more.

The office was awesome. Bright and green and warm and the window covered the entire wall. No tribal decorations or pictures of starving black kids. I was relieved.

She said you must be anxious because i'm a complete stranger to you now. I felt all prepared by some HBO therapy tv show and 4 year of college psychology course and a psychologist mom and a social worker girlfriend! In this way it's actually good that she is a complete stranger. I felt really scattered about my personal history and sometimes i couldn't remember or articulate what happened especially during my high school time in seattle. I remember it was probably the most depressed period of my life so everything seemed so stale and static. Part of me really resisted revisiting it. I thought i had already done all the healing and analyzing and introspecting and so sealed it in a box and buried it under my bed. My memory of 17 was a blank and lots of dates and calorie counts. She asked me how long has it been since Anne was gone i didn't have that number in my mind only 2004. I said August 2004.

I think whats good about therapy is that you could hand something you've been occupied with temporarily to the therapist so you don't obsess it over the day and night, knowing that someone will go through the trauma or stress or obstacle with you. Even though after all the shit is still mine and i am the one who has to take all the consequences, it's good feeling that someone is bridging the gaps from irrational destructive thoughts to the possibility of healing.

4 comments:

  1. 我的英文與你的中文幾要背道而馳了,讓我在打這字的當下有點猶豫要不要乾脆翻譯,又想不要班門弄斧貽笑大方.
    天啊!我的成語強迫症發作了,原諒我.
    你或可為這23年所見怪現狀之一寫首詩?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 蛙兒!我看了你的留言三遍才看懂你在說些什麼!我十二月初回台灣,該不會我們見面時也需要及時翻譯系統 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 沒關係,我大約花你三倍時間才看完整篇文章,所以才留言如此.我比較擔心如果我用英文留言你看三次也是不能明白
    幸好我講話很口語,你只要記得台灣髒話的發音即可
    我盡量不講些太進階或太古老的用詞,提醒我.
    電鍋危機很好,主題我喜歡(該不會那篇根本不是講電鍋嗎)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wen~ I'm always interested in seeing a therapist, not for grave matters, just for little personality crisis~ How much does it cost? Where is it?


    -Joyce

    ReplyDelete