Wednesday, February 24, 2010

moving from the caffeinated city to the city that never sleeps

It's great to feel like after so many rejections and self-deprecating that some people approve your work and can't wait to learn more about what you can bring to the table. Especially in academia, when so much is about your background, big names you worked with, and big terms such as hegemonic heterosexual discourse that you can pretend to use CASUALLY over coffee, it's good to know that i can belong in some degrees but also different enough to feel secure about how i want to position myself in the world.

The social psychology program at CUNY trains its students to be familiar with the classic psychological theories but also the critical. They are pretty innovative about their research methods and encourage students to take initiatives in a variety of projects across disciplines, instead of just cloning your advisor's work for five years and become paper publishing machines. It's good to know that many students remain engaged in the community work instead of entirely detached from it and just crunching numbers throughout the academic life. I think that compared to other social psych programs, CUNY can help me think of research in a different way, to use its resources as my own advantages to access the communities i wanna work with.

Besides the whole school business, i'm just excited to be living in NYC for the next five years of my life. I feel like it's a good time to push myself out of the comfort zone and experience something different. I'm excited to be around the queers and immigrants in the city, and not driving for once. I think new york is such a big place with hundreds of different neighborhoods, it really depends on what you wanna make of it. I'm ready for wherever it's taking me.

No comments:

Post a Comment